It’s that burning question you have in your head…
Should I join a gym? Will it be worth it?
Sometimes the answer isn’t a simple yes or no; there are several factors that come into play such as:
- Your lifestyle – are you working in an office? Are you a stay-at-home parent?
- Your work – perhaps you already work in a job that is physically demanding (construction, customer service, and the like) or you find yourself stuck in front of a laptop the whole day. Considering these factors is something you should think about
- Budget – joining a gym will cost you a bit of cash, not to mention the gear you need to invest in. Are you willing to set aside a certain amount every month for this?
- Proximity of the gym – Would you want the gym near your home or your office? Downtown or in the suburbs?
Thinking about these (and other factors we might not have mentioned) is just one way to go about making that decision to join a gym.
If you need a bit of nudging towards the right direction (and the nearest Rec Xpress to you), here are other reasons why joining a gym is worth it:
- It makes a positive impact on your health – There have been numerous studies already proving the many benefits of leading an active lifestyle. With today’s careers bound to the desk, it is quite difficult to find an excuse and the time to exercise.
- It relaxes you – as you work out, happy hormones called endorphins are released. Endorphins eases anxiety and instantly uplifts your mood, making you calm, cool, and collected.
- Stress levels are lowered – Had a tough day at work? Go to the gym! Things didn’t work out so well with your significant other? Go to the gym! Exercising helps ease stress and there is nothing more rewarding than running than extra mile or lifting that extra weight when you’ve had a bad day. As you get fitter, your body can easily cope with and regulate cortisol, a hormone that has been consistently linked to stress.
- You get to use different gym equipment – The gym is a whole new world. You’re surrounded by different equipment and machines and guess what? You get to try all of them! Having this kind of access gives your body the chance to become leaner and gain some muscle. While there’s really nothing wrong with working out at home, the tools aren’t the same and most likely you won’t be getting the same effect either. Unless you’re willing to spend on some gym equipment for home use, the gym is your best bet at gaining muscle and looking fit.
- You’re surrounded by professionals – If you’re a newbie and you want to gain knowledge about a fitness regimen that will work for you and the different exercises you are capable of doing, there are trainers that are happy to help you. There’s nothing better than talking to an actual human than simply searching the web for answers. Plus, the trainer will be able to create a schedule or program tailored to your fitness goals.
- Keeps you on track and motivated – Sometimes we hit a slump in whatever journey we’re in and it’s no different when we try to become fit and healthy. Whenever you hit the gym and you’re surrounded by people who have the same mindset as yours, you get to keep yourself on track and stay motivated throughout the whole process.
- Builds connections – You meet all sorts of people at the gym and when you’ve been going long enough, you get to notice the “regulars” who usually come around the same day and time as you would. Striking up a friendship (as long as it is within boundaries) is totally fine; in fact, it may even help you keep your gym membership longer. When you’ve found your “gym buddy” working out becomes a fun and interactive activity that the both of you can enjoy.
- It becomes a habit – Pretty soon you’ll be setting your schedule around gym time once you’ve established a routine. When this happens, it’s pretty hard to be missing a work out session.
Join a Gym Today
With the many reasons why joining a gym will reap great benefits to you and your body, heading towards the nearest Rec Xpress branch should be your next plan of action. Our friendly staff will be happy to accommodate you and answer any questions you may have about our equipment, schedule (we’re open 24 hours a day, seven days a week!), and our team of professional trainers.